Okay, I realize that right now you care about these things. You just want to slip into that sexy black number hanging in your wardrobe…you know, the one that used to fit years ago. But it's important to understand that your weight and health are not separate issues. Being overweight is a symptom of being unhealthy. Focus on your weight and your health will improve instantly. Consider what the results of various research studies say about the rather immediate effects of healthy nutrition on the body.
After 15 minutes: After the first morning of eating a healthy breakfast, your stomach's satiety signals have registered in your brain, and you feel full. The body'sinternal hemistry is at its most active first thing in the morning, so your breakfast is then used to the maximum. If you eliminated processed foods (white bread, sugary cereals) and substituted whole grains and lean proteins such as egg whites, along with fresh fruit, you should feel energetic and mentally alert after just one meal.
After 3 hours: Your artery linings are able to expand sufficiently to increase a blood flow to the body tissues and organs.
After 6 hours: The HDL(happy cholesterol) in your blood perks up and starts scouring LDL(lousy cholesterol) from the blood. You can think of LDLs as delivery lorries, depositing cholesterol in blood vessels, and HDLs as rubbish lorries, taking them back to the liver where they're broken down.
After 12 hours: Your body finally has an opportunity to burn the fat it has stored for energy because you've eliminated sugar. When you're eating a lot of sugar, your body is so busy processing the sugsr thst it doesn't have time to do its other job, which is to help the body burn fat.so guess what? The fat ends up hanging around.
After 16 hours: you get a restful night's sleep.
After 24 hours: You're 450 to 900g(1 to 2 lb) lighter, because your body has begun to flush excess water and toxins from your system.
After 1 week: Your cholesterol levels can drop significantly. Blood levels of important disease-fighting antioxidants such as vitamin C and vitamin E are higher. Your bowels are in better working order, and you should be at least 2.25 kg (5 lb) lighter.
After 2 weeks: You'll experience healthy drops in blood pressure. if you have been diagnosed with hypertension. Expect to have lost up to 4.5 kg (10 lb) by now.
After 1 Month: You won't have to filter out chunks of fast food from your blood any more. By now blood levels of LDL cholestrerol can fall by nearly 30 per cent – a drop similar to that seen with some cholesterol lowering medicines.
After 6 weeks: You've lost so much weight you can't buy new, smaller clothes fast enough. Yes, you should have lost quite a bit of weight (9 kg/20 lb is not unusual), and your blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels will be substantially improved.
After 12 weeks: Many significant health numbers-cholesterol, trigly cerides (fat in the blood), blood pressure, glucose and insulin – should begin to, if not completely, normalize.
After 6 Months: You'll feel healthier because your body will be retaining more vitamins and minerals. Because you reduced your sugar intake significantly over this period, insulin production will have normalized. So your risk of developing type 2 diabetes is reduced, as this can be linked to a larger intake of sugar. Your energy levels have improved dramatically because your body has gone through a detoxing process. You've probably reached your goal. The hardest work is over, and now it's time to learn how to eat to maintain your newly slender silhouette.
Here are six ways in which some padding can tip the scales in your favour.
A little meat on your frame can ward off osteoporosis, a condition of fragile bones that's less likely to occur in overweight women. Weight-bearing bones stay stronger.
Healthier Hearts and Lower Risk of Diabetes
Women with lager thighs have a lower risk of heart disease and early death, says a study in the British Medical Journal. Those with stick-thin legs face the greatest chance of developing heart disease.Why? Added lower-body muscle mass can promote a better metabolism. Also, a 2008 study published in cell Metabolism found that the fat that accumulates around the thighs and hips, called subcutaneous fat, actually lowers risk of diabetes. Pear shapes, be proud.
Recent studies on twins have have found that the sister with more weight was judged to have a more youthful look. A gaunt face can definitely add some years, so carrying an extra few pounds can help create a more youthful appearance. It may also help to fill out a few of those more significant wrinkles that tend to scream out 'ageing'.
The more you weigh, the bigger they get. Breasts are made up of mostly fat, and any excess pounds practically go straight to your chest. Unfortunately, when you lose weight, boob flab is one of the first things to go.
Are you thinking of starting – or growing – your family? Underweight women were 72 per cent more likely to miscarry, reports a London study. More specifically, when leaner women conceived they had a much higher percentage of miscarrying within three months of pregnancy. However, those few extra pounds on overweight women actually proved to have the opposite effect on their pregnancy,
It's not the skinny folks who have a fast metabolism; it's the overweight people! It takes more energy to operate anything bigger, so bigger people use more energy to do the same things that smaller people do. But metabolism isn't the only thing that determines weight; it's also how much you eat and exercise that matters.
Best Reason of all
People who are really out of shape, who start exercising, get fitter faster! The fact is your body wants to be in shape. It wants to be healthy. It wants to look good. It wants to be hot! So, the more out of shape you are, the faster your body will respond to your weight loss efforts.
Enjoy Plenty of protein
The 17 day Diet is generous in protein. But I don't mean 27 eggs and 18 rashers of bacon washed down with the drippings. I mean lean foods such as chicken, fish, lean meats and other protein-rich foods.
Protein is a powerful fat torcher- for six reasons:
- Digesting protein takes more energy (calories) than digesting carbs or fat does, so your body burns a few extra calories after eating protein.
- Including ample protein in your diet spurs one of your body's fat-burning mechanisms: the production of the hormone glucagon. Glucagon signals your body to move dietary fat into your bloodstream and use it for energy rather than just store it.
- Consuming enough protein helps you preserve lean muscle mass that might otherwise be sacrificed on a rapid weight loss diet. Of course, the more lean muscle you have, the more calories you burn, even at rest.
- Eating protein helps keep your blood sugar on an even keel, so you don't get the shakes or drops in energy.
- Having enough protein in your diet boosts your metabolism, and it does this by stepping up the action of your thyroid gland. (One of the main duties of the thyroid is to regulate metabolism.)
- Including protein with meals helps tame your appetite so that you don't stuff yourself.
Venture into vegetables
If you haven't eaten vegetables since you were 11, lets spend a second on this 'I hate vegetables' thing.
You hate all vegetables? There isn't one you like, no matter how it's prepared? If you eliminates all vegetables from your diet, you're giving up some very important nutrients and really narrowing your food options. Vegetables are loaded with fibre, vitamins and minerals. Shunning them is a bad idea. Why not learn to prepare them with herbs and spices to satisfy your taste?
Pardon my assumption, but I think you, like thousands of other people I've talked to, belive that to lose weigh, you have to subsist on carrot and celery sticks. But the old 'carry some celery sticks to munch on' mentality is gone forever. Aren't you relieved?
There are hundreds of different vegetables you can eat, even if you have to hide them in soups or pasta sauce. And you can happily eat your way though a couple of bushels without gaining any weight. If you want to change your body and get leaner, stronger and healthier, you have to eat vegetables. The dieters who ate thewidest variety of vegetables ad the least amount of body fat. You need to eat vegetables if you want to get thin. Vegetables = thin. No Vegetables = flabby.
Many of my patients have actually acquired a taste for fresh green salads with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, carrots, mushrooms and all sorts of veggies. Some of them have even turned themselves into health nuts who only dip their forks into the salad dressing to really slash caloric intake.
There are more benefits. Eat more vegetables and you will:
Bubble with energy all day.
- Improve your digestion and elimination, because veggies are high in fibre. High-fibre foods control appetite and help prevent excess calories from being stored as fat.
- Have glowing skin. Your skin loves vitamins and minerals, and you get most of those nutrients from veggies.
- Help prevent major killers such as cancer and heart disease, because veggies are rich in disease-fighting antioxidants.
Give-up High-Sugar Fruits
Fruit may seem like a friendly diet food because it's low-fat, but here's an example of how having too much of a good thing can sabotage your diet. Certain fruits such as pineapple, watermelon and banana are high in sugar, and they don't promote fat loss. Too much sugar from any source can goad your body into converting more of what you eat into thigh-padding pounds.
I'm not going to ask you to shun all fruit. Just be moderate in how much you eat-two servings a day only. On the first two cycles of the 17 Day Diet, you'll stick to berries, apples, oranges and grapefruit, which are lower in sugar. By eating like this a fruit tooth will replace the sweet tooth will replace the sweet one that rules mouth.
Cut the Cards
Carbohydrates are energy foods. Without them, you'd get foggy headed, grumpy and very tired, and no one will to be around you. The low-carb diet craze deemed all carbs evil and fattening. People abandoned all forms of fruit, rice and pasta and ate mostly protein. The problem is you can only eat so much protein and fat before you start to get nauseated by it.
Yet, not all carbs are the same. There are bad ones – stuff made mostly out of sugar or over-refined such as white bread, white rice and white pasta. Sugar and sweets are the worst. Consider this: we are eating over twelve times the amount of sugar our great-grandparents consumed.That's roughly eruivalent to 772.5 kg (160 lb) of sugar per person per year. Now, imagine filling up your living room or garage with 160 of those 450 g (1 lb) bags you buy at the supermarket. Really get a mental picture of it. Let's say you don't eat as much as others, and cut it in half. It's still a hefty pile, isn't it? You see, most people have no idea that they're eating so much sugar. Much of it is hidden in processed, packaged foods we eat, as well as drinks.
Depending on which cycle you are in on the 17 Day Diet, you get to eat good crabs:fruit, vegetables, whole grains – anything that hasn't been stripped of its nutrition.
So the type of crabs you eat is important. But so is the amount. You can go overboard on carbs, even the good kind, and this can be devastating to your natural metabolic processes. Therefore, the 17 Day Diet is low-to-moderate in carbohydrates.
Many people are walking around completely unaware that they may be 'carbohydrate sensitive'. When you get carbohydrate sensitive, your body can no longer burn fat effectively, and a good deal of the carbohydrate sensitivity occurs when:
-You habitually eat too much sugar and refined carbohydrates (bagels, pasta, sugary cereals and puddings, white rice and white bread). Unfortunately, this sensitivity increases with age. It can also lead to insulin resistance, a condition just shy of type 2 diabetes. In insulin resistance, cells don't recognize glucose any more, so glucose is barred from entering cells for energy. Your blood sugar tends to rise, you are more fatigued and you gain more weight mostly around your waist and chest area.
-Your suffer from chronic stress. Our bodies deal with stress by raising cortisol levels, a hormone secreted from our adrenal glands. This in turn triggers the over-release of glucose and insulin into the blood-stream. The result is insulin resistance. To your physiology being under chronic stress is the same as if you ate cake all day long.
-You're a woman. While men burn carbohydrates for energy, women tend to store them a fat. This is especially true as women age. Menopausal women are more prone. They don't have enough oestrogen stores to deal with cortisol and its tendency to make the body store fat. Chalk it up to female biology.
-Natural and unprocessed carbs are found in the 17 Day Diet in the vegetables and fruits allowed yoy.By Cycle 3 you'll get to introduce other carbs into the diet, including brown rice, oats, wholegrains, yams, potatoes and other natural, high-fibre carbs.
Choose Fats that Burn Fat
Fat in the diet has been blamed for many modern lifestyle diseases: obesity, heart disease, cancer, diabetes and hypertension. Not all fats are created equal, however. Most people know by now they should limit intake of saturayed fats, found in animal foods, and avoid trans fats entirely. Processed foods are loaded with trans fats.
Polyunsaturated fats, fond mostly in fish and vegetable oils, are what I call 'friendly fats'. They are credited with keeping your skin supple and youthful, reducing harmful levels of cholesterol, lowerhigh blood pressure, contributing to brain and eye development and a host of other health benefits almost akin to a panacea. They also promote weight lose because they keep you feeling fuller for a longer period of time. This keeps you from eating too many calories.
Omega-3 fatty acids, found in fish, boost your metabolism. Adding some weekly servings of fish high in omga-3s(salmon, tuna, mackerel or sardines), whilst reducing calories, helped overweight people lose more weight than reducing calories alone, according to a study published in the American Journal of clinical Nutrition. The researchers concluded that the omega-3s helped subjects burn more calories. If you don't like fish, take 3 grams of fish oil supplements daily.
Vitamins from Food
You're better off getting your vitamins from food. The body absorbs them more easily, and you'll feel healthier. Required by your body in tiny amounts, vitamins play impotant roles in the metabolism of carbohybrates, Proteins and fats. The vitamins you need daily are found in the 17 Day Diet a follows:
Vitamin A: Green leafy vegetables, carrots, yams, fruits and eggs
Vitamin B-Complex: Protein foods, whole grains, pluses, fruits and vegetables.
Vitamin C: Fruits and Vegetables.
Vitamin D: Low fat dairy foods, fish.
Vitamin E: Whole grains, green leafy vegetables and eggs.
There's nothing wrong with taking a good multivitamin-mineral tablet daily.
Minerals are amongst the heaviest substances ever, second only to Orson Welles. But of course, minerals don't make you heavy. They help you thin, especially calcium, which may speed up the rate at which your body burns fat.
Like vitamins, minerals play a role in metabolism. But a major difference between the two nutrients is that minerals are constituents of bodily structures such as bone, cartilage and teeth, providing their hardness and strength. Whilst vitamins help manufacture these structures, they do not become part of the structures themselves.
The minerals you need daily are found in the 17 Day Diet as follows:
Iron: Meats, poultry, eggs, green leafy vegetables and fruits.
Calcium: Yoghurt, salmon, green leafy vegetables and broccoli.
Copper: Meats, shellfish
Phosphorus: Meats, Poultry, fish
Potassium: Fruits and vegetables
Selenium: Wholegrains, fish and eggs
Zinc: Shellfish, meats, whole grains and vegetables
Beware: Negative Water
The following fluids, which I call negative water, do not count towards your must-have daily allowance of water.
|Diet fizzy drinks or squash
|Regular fizzy drinks or squash
|Regular fizzy drinks or squash
|· Sports drinks(dilute with water-½ water and ½ sports drink if you are an athlete ane use these products)
'*' coffee and tea are allowed on the 17 Day Diet, but do not count towards your 8 glasses of water.
Special Mention Fluids: Green Tea and coffee
For added fat-loss benefits, another drink of choice is green tea, although it is technically a ngative water. Certain natural natural is green tea, although it is technically a negative water. Certain natural chemicals called catechins in green tea increase fat-burning and stimulate thermogenesis, the calorie burning process process that occurs as a result of digesting and metabolizing food.
Green tea is also one of the foods that may block angiogenesis. Angiogenesis refers to a process of blood vessel growth. For example, angiogenesis that builds up a blood supply to tumours can unfortunately make the tumours grow. Angiogenesis does the same thing with fast tissue: it creates a blood supply to fat tissue too, so it can grow. Fat tissue and cancer feed on oxygen delivered by these new blood vessels.
There's excellent science published in the best journals that something in green tea inhibits angiogensis. Drinking three cups of green tea.
Coffee is also permitted on the 17 Day Diet. The caffeine kicks your metabolism into high gear. Caffeine also kick-starts the breakdown of fat in the body. One to two cups a day is ideal.
Facts about Fat:
- The average adult has 40 billion fat cells.
- Fat is also one of the most abundant types of tissue in the body.
- Fat tissue is a dynamic, complex, and necessary component of life.
- Girls are born with more fat cells than boys.
- By the time you're a teenager, you are likely to have all the fat cells you are aver going to have.
- Fat grows when existing cells enlarge and when new get created.
- The number of fat cells can go, but not down.
- When you lose weight, existing fat cells shrink.
- Fat cells die, but your body quickly replenishes them with same number.
- Fat cells are bigger in obese people.
- Fat cells come in two types: White and drown. White is the kind that makes your jeans too tight. Brown fat is found in babies and has the ability to burn energy.
- Fat cells, like cancer cells and other cells in the body, feed themselves oxygen with new blood vessels in a process known as angiogenesis. Fat can't expand without expanding its blood vessels, just like a city can't expand without expanding its roads.
- When you exercise, cells produce an enzyme that tells fatty tissue to release its stores for muscles to burn.
- The liver stores glucose from food as glycogen and releases it into the bloodstream when energy is needed. Once glucose runs out, the body starts to burn fat.
- Fat cells secrete oestrogen, which is linked to certain types of cancer,chiefly breast cancer in postmenopausal women.
- Body fat accumulates from head to toe and comes off the same way.
- Body fat is like a ski suit: it provides insulation against the cold. A downside of getting thin is that you might shiver more often.
The Accelerate Cycle Food List:
Eat All you want of the following proteins. They're freebies. The 17 Day Diet is purposely high in protein because it stimulates the reduction of body fat
- Salmon, canned or fresh
- Red snapper
- Canned light tuna(in water)
'*' Opt for wild-caught rather than farm-raised fish, which may have received doses of antibiotics. Avoid the bigger fish as swordfish, shark, king mackerel and albacore tuna. They are the most likely to carry metals such as methyl-mercury, which is considered a toxin.
- Chicken breasts
- Turkey breasts
- Turkey mince, lean
- Eggs (2 eggs=1 serving)
- Egg whites (4 egg whites = 1 serving)
Eat all you want from the following list. They're freebies too. I call these cleansing vegetables because they support detoxification in the intestines, blood and liver, and offer protective antioxidants. A few honourable mentions:
- Cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprouts supply Important phytochemicals (disease-fighting substances in plants), which help the liver detoxify chemicals, medicines and pollutants.
- Asparagus, spinach and okra are all notable sources of glutathione, a vital compound that aids in the removal of fast-soluble toxins.(so is cooked chicken).
- Spinach, broccoli, tomatoes and Brussels sprouts contribute alpha-lipoic acid, a bpowerful antioxidant that destroys harmful free radicals, which are by-products of detoxification.
- Onions accelerate the break down of fats in your food. As a result your body is more apt to excrete them than to store them in fat cells.
- Salad leaves have diuretic properties (which help you lose water weight), and their ability to stabilize blood sugar prevents bings eating.
- Globe artichokes have a range of health-promoting benefit. This veggie scores high on the antioxidant scale, thanks to the presence of cynarin and silymarin. These two phytochemicals are thought to lower cholesterol, protect liver cells from toxins, enhance circulation, alpha-lipoic acid and aid digestion. Both antioxidants are found in the leaves and the heart of the vegetable.
- Brussels sprouts
- French beans
- Green, leafy vegetables(including beetroot greens, turnip, spring greens)
- Globe artichoke
- Pepper, green, Orange, red, yellow
- Globe artichoke hearts
- Spring onions
- Lettuces, all varieties
Low-Sugar Fruit-2 servings daily
Low sugar fruits are good sources of fibre that provide bulk and digest slowly, helping you feel full. They're also full of water, high in fibre and super low in calories, which makes them ideal for weight loss.
- Berries, all types
- Prickly pear cactus
- Red Grapes
· Condiments and seasonings are allowed in moderation: salsa, low-crab pasta sauce, light-soy sauce, low-cal tomato ketchup, fat-free sour cream, low-fat, low sodium broth, sugar-free jams and jellies, vegetable oil cooking spray, fat-free cheeses(i.e. Parmesan), fat-free salad dressing, salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard, herbs and spices.
Maximise the Health Power of Fruits and Veggies
- Look for fresh produce that is crisp and not wilted. Fresh = nutritious.
- When buying fresh fruits, look for bruises. Bruising initiates a chemical reaction that saps the nutritents content.
- When purchasing pre-packed salads, look for a colourful medley of greens in the packet. The more colour, the more antioxdiants and phytochemicals in the vegetables.
- Always select the brightest, most colourful fruits and vegetables on the shelves. The brighter the colour, the more vitamins and nutrients in the produce.
- Go for darker shades of green when buying lettuces. Dark-leafed lettuces such as cos are richer in certain B vitamins than lighter varieties of lettuce such as iceberg.
- Buy vegetables such as onions and peppers in all their various colours for a greater array of nutrients.
- Purchase fresh fruits and vegetables when you can. They tend to be more nutrient are at peak levels.
- Buy locally grown fruits and vegetables when you can. They tend to be more nutrient-rich because they come picked straight from the field.(A lot of nutrient loss occurs bwhen produce is in transit for delivery to supermarkets.)
- Berries are highly perishable. At the supermarket look at the base of the container. Staining is a sign that the fruit has been bruised or is overripe. Nutrient loss has already set in, and the fruit will spoil rapidly.
- Look for the brightest strawberries possible. A bright colour signals exceptional Nutrient quality. If berries show too much whiteness at their base, they're less nutritious.
- Sniff berries to test for freshness. A pleasant aroma indicates good flavor, ripeness and nutritional goodness.
- Buy a variety of fruits and vegetables on the food lists. The greater the variety of foods you eat, the healthier your nutrition.
- Eat fruits and vegetables raw whenever possible. Generally, raw produce is healthier. Exception to the raw rule: cooked carrots and tomatoes yield more antioxidants.
- Cook vegetables the shortest time possible to preserve nutrients.
- Streaming vegetables is a great way to keep nutrients from escaping.
- Avoid thawing frozen fruits and vegetables prior to cooking. As foods thaw, micro-organisms possibly present in food may begin to multiply, spoiling the food.
- In most cases avoid peeling. Nutrients and fibre are lost when produce is peeled.
Meal Planning Made Easy
It's easy to remember what to eat during this Cycle:
As much as you want of specific proteins and cleansing vegetables.
Supplements these foods with 2 low-sugar fruits daily; 2 servings of probiotic foods such as yoghurt, kefir, Yakult (small 50 –calorie bottle), reduced salt miso dissolved in low-fat, low-sodium broth, sauerkraut (115 g/4 oz a serving) and 1 to 2 tablespoons of friendly fat. It's that easy.
You do not have to count anything, except your 2 daily fruit servings, your 2 daily probiotic servings and your fat serving.
Here is a typical day on the Accelerate Cycle:
2 eggs or 4 eggs whites, prepared without oil: or 1 serving probiotic food such as yoghurt
1 fruit serving
1 cup green tea
Liberal amounts of protein in the form of fish, poultry or eggs plus unlimitedamounts of cleansing vegetables; or 1 probiotic serving plus unlimited amounts of cleansing vegetables
1 cup green tea
· Liberal amounts of protein in the form of fish or chicken
Unlimited amounts of cleansing vegetables
1 cup green tea
2nd fruit serving
2nd probiotic serving
1 serving (1 to 2 tablespoons) of friendly fat to use on salads, vegetables or for cooking.
The Activate Cycle food List
On the Activate Cycle, you'll be adding new foods to those you ate on the Accelerate Cycle. These additional foods are listed below.
Add in the following foods:
Lean Cuts of Meat* (The leanest cuts are those from the part of animal that gets the most exercise. Therefore, cuts from the topside, silver, chuck, and flank are the best.)
- Braising steak
- Lean steak mince
- Rump steak
- Sirloin beef
- Skirt steak
- Pork boneless roast
- Pork chops
- Pork fillet
- Lamb shoulder
- Leg of lamb
- Veal cutlet
'*' Lean cuts tend to be a little tougher. You can tenderize lean cuts by marinating in fat-free liquids such as fruit juice, wine, fat-free salad dressings or fat-free broth.
Grains: (1 serving)
o Amaranth (100 g/31/2 oz)
- Basmati rice (100 g/31/2 oz)
- Barley, pearl (100 g/3 1/2 oz)
- Brown rice (100 g/31/2 oz)
- Bulgar wheat (70 g/21/2 oz)
- Couscous (100 g/31/2 oz)
- Millet ((100 g/31/2 oz)
- Oat bran (45 g/11/2 oz)
- Polenta/cornmeal (70 g/21/2 oz)
- Porridge oats (100 g/31/2 oz)
- Quinoa (100 g/31/2 oz)
Pulses: (1 serving)
Black beans (100 g/31/2 oz)
- Black-eyed beans (100 g/31/2 oz)
- Butter beans (100 g/3 1/2 oz)
- Chickpeas (125 g/41/2 oz)
- Kidney beans (100 g/31/2 oz)
- Lentils (100 g/31/2 oz)
- Haricot beans (100 g/31/2 oz)
- Peas (70 g/21/2 oz)
- Pinto bean (100 g/31/2 oz)
- Soya beans (100 g/31/2 oz)
- Split peas (100 g/31/2 oz)
Starchy Vegetables: (1 serving)
o Potato (1 medium)
o Sweet corn (70 g/21/2 oz)
o Sweet potato (1 medium)
o Taro, available in Caribbean grocers (1 serving=55 g/2 oz)
o Winter squashes, acorn, butternut, etc. (65 g/21/4 oz)
o Yam (1 medium)
o Same food as Accelerate cycle.
o Same food as Accelerate cycle.
o Same food as Accelerate cycle.
o Same food as Accelerate cycle.
o Condiments and seasonings are allowed in moderation: salsa, low-carb pasta sauce, light soy sauce, low-cal tomato ketchup, fat-free sour cream, low-fat, low-sodium broth, a natural low-calorie sweetener, sugar-free jams and jellies, vegetable oil cooking spray, fat-free cheeses(i.e Parmesan), fat-free salad dressing, salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard, herbs, and spices.
Meal Planning Made easy:
On Activate days, you eat:
Liberal amounts of protein and cleansing vegetables
· Two daily servings of nature starches (carbohydrates)
Two low-sugar fruit servings
Two serving of probiotic foods
One daily serving of friendly fat
Here's a typical day on the Activate Cycle:
· About 45 g /11/2 oz hot wholegrain cereal or 2 eggs or 4 egg whites, prepared without oil; 1 Power cookie; or one probiotic serving
1 fruit serving
1 cup green tea
· Liberal amounts of protein in the form of fish, shellfish, meat or chicken or eggs; or vegetables plus 1 probiotic serving
1 serving natural starch
Unlimited amounts of cleansing vegetables
1 cup green tea
Liberal amounts of protein in the form of fish, shellfish, meat, or chicken or turkey
Unlimited amounts of cleansing vegetables
1 cup green tea
2nd fruit serving
2nd probiotic serving
Additional: · 1 friendly fat serving (1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil or linseed oil to use on salads, vegetables or for cooking)
Remember: Follow one day of the Activate Cycle with a menu from the Accelerate Cucle, and alternate accordingly for a total of 17 days.
When's the best time of day to exercise?
As for morning workouts, one study shows people burn 10 per cent more fat calories with early-morning workouts
Do not try pre-breakfast exercise under the following conditions:
1. If you are a diabetic or suffer from low-blood sugar, because you could become dizzy or nauseous
2. If you are not much of a dawn's-early-light person and a morning workout sounds about as appealing as watching reruns of a reality TV programme.
As for evening workouts, women who walked in the evening burnt more fat than women who walked in the morning. Again, there's no bad time to exercise.
Liposuction Has Health Benefits
Liposuction, like all procedures, has risks. But liposuction has been found to help reverse type 2 diabetes and reduce cholesterol. Obesity makes your body's cells resistant to insulin. The result is that sugar can't enter your cells, and your blood-sugar level rises. Liposuction seems to reverse the process. The other benefit of liposuction is this: removing just 2.7 kg (6 lb) of fat can lower your cholesterol level dramatically.
Why can't I drink diet sodas on the 17 Day Diet
Diet soda sure seems like a dieter's dream: you can drink as much as you want, and none of it will end up on your thighs. This bubbly beverage has a sneaky mission to make you put on pounds. Here's how: diet soda is flavoured with artificial sweeteners, which can be many times sweeter than regular sugar. That super-sweet taste can instantly trigger your natural desire for high-calorie, sugary foods. The more you drink, the worse those cravings can be, prompting you to reach for real sweets. Have diet soft drinks in moderation, but concentrate more on drinking water or mineral water, which keep cravings on an even keel without sparking a junk-food binge.
If you have more weight to lose:
At the end of Cycle 3, if you have additional weight to lose, you have several options:
· Returns to Accelerate for 17 days, continue to Activate for 17 days and follow with Achieve for 17 days, or
· Returns to Activate for 17 days and follow with Achieve for 17 days, or
· Continue on with Achieve until you reach your goal weight.
· Suggestion: If you are very goal weight at the end of your first Achieve Cycle, it's best to return to the Accelerate Cycle for up to 17 days to reach your goal more quickly.
As we wrap up this Cycle, think for a moment about how good it feels to slim down. Replacing those pounds should be new-found feelings of self-control, increased health and fitness, loose clothing, continual compliments, improved physical appearance, excitement and an overall boost of pride. I known it hasn't been easy. But the accomplishment of losing weight will bring you true satisfaction – something a Happy Meal could never do.
Cycle 3: Achieve is a more moderate, liberalized food plan that follows a wide range of healthy foods, eaten in proper portions for continued weight loss.
Weight loss may slow down during Cycle 3, but you can speed it up by: (1)Increasing your aerobic exercise, (2)not eating carbohydrates of any type past 2.oopm, and (3)avoiding optional alcohol.
Purpose of Cycle 3 is to help you achieve good eating habits.
Start the Arrive Cycle
The Arrive Cycle is unique in that it helps you keep your weight off, whilst letting you enjoy yourself and eat freely from your favourite foods on weekends.
Basically, the arrive cycle works like this:
· Monday breakfast through Friday lunch: enjoy meal plans from one of your favourite Cycles,Accelerate, Active or Achieve.
· Friday dinner trough Sunday dinner: enjoy your favourite foods and meals in moderation over the weekend.
· Enjoy no more than one or three favourite meals over the weekend. Donot binge. Eat slowly and enjoy your food.
· If desired, enjoy alcoholic drinks in moderation over the weekend (1 to 2 daily): 45 ml/1 ½ fl oz spirits, 150 ml/5 fl oz wine or 350 ml/12 fl oz beer.
· You may include soups in your daily menus, as long as they are broth-based. Avoid soups made with milk or cream. Having soup prior to a meal will help curb your appetite and help you feel full.
· As one of your fruit servings, you may substitute fruit juice (unsweet-ended), but no more than 175 ml/6 fl oz per serving.
· Continue to use condiments in moderation. Choose low-fat, low-calorie seasonings, such as reduced-fat dressings, plus spices, herbs, lemon or lime juice, vinegar and chilli sauce.
Exercise on weekends, as well as weekdays.
· Each Monday, I'd like you to renew your commitment to yourselfffand to your new incredible body. Do this, and you'll control your eating week by week, with a strategy that'll guarantee success.
Arrive Cycle Strategies
The following factors are essential for keeping the bulge at bay.
Observe the 2.25kg(5 lb) Stop Signal
On the arrive Cycle weigh yourself on the weekends. Anytime you see the scale register 1.4 to 2.25 kg (3 to 5 lb) over your weight goal, go right back on your favourite Cycle, Accelerate, Activate or Achieve, on Monday. Note: you'll always get back to your normal weight faster by resuming the Accelerate Cycle. If for some reason you've gained a great deal of weight (perhaps by being on holiday), your solution is to start the 17 Day Diet from the beginning and progress through all the Cycles.
Be a Breakfast lover
On most diets people starve themselves in the morning so they can eat more for lunch and dinner. This doesn't work. Eat breakfast. Heck, anytime someone tells you to eat, you really should listen!
You really do need to eat breakfast. You say you're not that hungry in the morning? Okay, but eat anyway, eating first thing will make you feel more satisfied throughout the entrie day, and you,ll consume fewer calories, all told. Even on weekends.What's more, I,vepersonally found that most people who skip breakfast become ravenous by 10:30 that morning and often find themselves eating whatever is to hand, even if it's really fattening junk food.
Get on Good Terms with Salad
Have a salad when you dine out or eat at home. Starting dinner with a large salad may help lower the number of calories you'll consume at the meal. A few leaves of cos lettuce underneath a mountain of cheese and croutons. Salad Veggies topped with one tablespoon of light dressing.
Make Healthier Substitutes:
Try to eat certain reduced-fat,reduced-sugar foods. These include:
Mustard instead of mayo on sandwiches
· Skimmed or semi-skimmed milk instead of the full-fat stuff
Salsa for dipping
Reduced-sugar tomato ketchup or steak sauce
Fat-free, sugar-free ice cream and frozen treats
· Fat-free soured cream on jacket potatoes instead of butter or soured cream
Fat-free or reduced-calorie salad dressings
· Grilled Chicken or turkey sandwiches instead of burgers at fast-food joints
Every little bit helps
Avoid Overboard Syndrome
Never binge. Translated: no pig outs. No stuffing your face until it grows to the size of a football. Get your eating under control. Decide that this wat of eating is going to change.
Make lists of trouble foods that might make you binge. Deep down, you know what these foods are, so it's best to not include them in your weekend treat meals.
Stick to one of the Cycles during the week; enjoy your favourite foods on the weekends, but use your head. Go ahead and include pizza in your nutrition plan-just choose a normal portion, not a whole large pizza! Maintain that consistency, and you'll be thin be thin for life.
17 Weekend Chores That Incinerate Calories (per hour)
Watering lawn and garden by hand 102
- Cleaning, dusting 176
- Moderate housework 246
- Carpentry, general 246
- Plumbing 246
- Gardening 281
- Bagging Grass 281
- Raking lawn 303
- Weeding or planting a garden 317
- Painting 317
- Cleaning gutters 352
- Axe chopping, slow 362
- DIY 387
- Shovelling snow 422
- Moving heavy objects(like helping your child move to university) 528
- Farming, baling hay, cleaning barn 563
- Trimming trees 633
Healthy Foods that will make you fast
Some foods with healthy reputations are actually worse for your weight than you might think.Take a look.
|Food ||Fatting Factor
||Ounce for ounce, dried fruit had tons more calories than the fresh kind because it has been dehydrated and is denser. In the same volume of fresh grapes and raisins, for example, grapes have 60 calories, whilst raisins have 460.
||It's loaded with good-for-you nuts and oats, but also with oil and sugar for more flavor. One bowl adds up to about 500 calories
||Most muffins are basically just a round slice of cake. One muffin can weigh in at about 20 grams of fat, 420 calories and 34 grams of sugar
||Many bagels weigh four to five ounces. At 80 calories per ounce, that's a 320-to 400-calorie hunk of bread. Stick to small, whole wheat bagels.
|Cream||It seems harmless; after all, you pour so little over your strawberries. However, a few spoonfuls here or there over the course of a week quickly turns into 200 or more calories, plus the same amount of fat as a big knob of butter.
||Drinks at the big coffee chains will sabotage your diet faster than you can say Frappuccino. Some of these items have 700 calories a serving.
||Many bottled drinks are souped up with sugar or honey. Oh, and one bottle can contain two or more servings, bringing the calorie count to almost 200, similar to a can of soda.
||THESE LIGHT SNACKS ARE FAT-FREE AND LOW IN CALORIES, BUT THEY'RE ALSO COMPLETELY LACKING IN FIBRE OR PROTEIN-INGREDIENTS THAN CAN TAME YOUR HUNGER.THT MEANS EATING TWO OR THREE WON'T DO ANYTHING, BUT THEY WILL DD MORE CALORIES TO YOUR DAILY TOTAL AND LEAVE YOU CRAVING SOMETHING WITH SUBSTANCE.
||Juice is basically sugar and calories. A 475 ml/16 fl oz bottle of orange juice or apple juice has 55 g/2 oz of carbohydrates, the equivalent of five slices of bread. And most of that is sugar: a whopping 12 spoonfuls of it.
|Fat-free Frozen Dessert
||The label might say it's as low as 60 calories for a small pot, but lab tests on these frozen delights say otherwise: around 270 calories is more like it.
||Three of these will give you 150 calories. But get this: three regular chocolate-chip biscuits are 160…just 10 measly calories more.
||The average chocolate bar has 250 calories; so does the average energy bar. Energy bars are chocolate bars incognito, disguised by a few added vitamins (which you're better off getting from fruit). Personally, I'd rather have a Snickers.
||The labels say they contain various herbs, minerals and the amino acid taurine, specially designed to boost your energy. But if you look at the ingredients, they're mostly caffeine and sugar, making them hardly more than over-priced squash.
||The artificial sweeteners they contain make it harder for people to regulate their calorie intake. Sweet tastes tell the brain a lot of calories are about to be consumed. When that doesn't happen, you eat more to compensate.
||One of these can weigh in at more than 900 calories (that's if you eat the hard-to-resist shell). Try my recipe for taco salad instead.
||Just 3 tablespoons of this snack packs around 140 calories. Most people gobble down much more than that, making this a very high-calorie snack.
17 ways to burn mopre calories without logging